840 Hinckley Rd, Suite 101
Burlingame, CA 94010

Juvenile Crimes

  • The Law Offices of Paula Canny

Burlingame Defense Attorneys Handle Juvenile Crimes in California

Compassionate and effective representation for juvenile adjudications

If your child has been arrested, you’re probably anxious to know what happens next and what you can do to ensure fair treatment in the juvenile system. You’re right to be apprehensive, since the upcoming adjudication could be the wake-up call your child needs or the first of many run-ins with the law. One of the chief factors that can contribute to a positive outcome for your child is your choice of legal representation. At The Law Offices of Paula Canny, we’ve been defending minors for more than 30 years. We know the law and procedure of California juvenile court, and we’re committed to fighting for your child’s future.

Understanding the juvenile court process in California

If your child has been arrested, you’ve received a Notice to Appear. This usually instructs the parent to go to the local probation department to meet with a probation officer. Depending upon the severity of the crime, the probation officer may:

  • Lecture and release your child
  • Qualify your child for a program instead of court
  • Send your child home with you and refer the case to the District Attorney (DA), who will decide whether to file a petition
  • Keep your child in custody and refer the case to the DA. Your child will have a detention hearing the day after the DA files the petition.

After the DA files a petition, your child must have an adjudication hearing. If your child is adjudicated a delinquent, penalties include probation and detention with the Division of Juvenile Justice, which could mean a correctional facility or a youth camp.

Aggressive criminal defense when a minor is tried in adult court

In California, minors at least 14 years of age charged with serious violent crimes, including murder, arson, armed robbery, rape or carjacking, may be tried in adult court. Convicted minors at least 16 years of age can go directly to adult prison. In such cases, it’s even more important to have a skilled and experienced criminal defense attorney representing your child.

Contact an experienced criminal defense attorney in to fight for your child’s future

The Law Offices of Paula Canny draws on more than 30 years of experience in high-profile criminal cases to protect your child’s rights. Rest assured that our concerned attorneys will make every effort to reach a favorable outcome. Contact us online or call 650.652.7862 to schedule a consultation.