Burlingame, CA, Law Firm Vigorously Defends Drug Crimes
Experienced defense to state and federal drug charges throughout California
The Law Offices of Paula Canny fights for people throughout California who’ve been accused of drug crimes. For decades, we have been in the forefront of reforms to address drug use as a social issue rather than a cause for criminal prosecution. Our commitment shines through as we work diligently to deliver the most aggressive defense possible. As your criminal defense lawyers, we:
- Challenge police actions, such as traffic stops and frisks
- Challenge the validity of search warrants
- Challenge the chain of custody for drug evidence
- Qualify you for intervention programs in lieu of jail
We do everything possible to chip away at the prosecution’s case and present you in a favorable light to the court. We have an impressive record of success getting charges reduced or dismissed, and winning acquittals in hard-fought cases on the state and federal level.
Capable representation for a broad spectrum of drug charges
Our criminal law experience includes defense to:
- Drug possession — Possessing a small quantity of illegal narcotics, such as cocaine or heroin, or prescription drugs without a valid script, is a felony punishable by up to three years in state prison. Often, accused persons are eligible for diversion programs rather than jail.
- Possession for sale — If you’re caught with larger amounts of drugs, prosecutors will infer that you intended to sell, even if you intended only personal use. Diversion programs are not available and prison sentences last up to four years.
- Sale or transportation — Under California law, a person who transports, imports into the state, sells, furnishes, administers, or gives away illicit drugs, or offers to do the same, has committed a felony. Prison terms for these offenses range from three to nine years.
- Use — It is illegal to be under the influence of a controlled substance. This crime comes with a mandatory minimum of 90 days in county jail, though many can qualify for a diversion program.
- DUI of drugs — The California Vehicle Code makes it illegal to drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs, even when legally prescribed and obtained.
- Possession of paraphernalia — It is a misdemeanor to possess a contrivance used for ingesting drugs, such as a syringe or crack pipe.
- Manufacturing — California law provides harsh penalties for manufacturing illicit drugs, including prison terms up to seven years and fines up to $50,000.
- Trafficking — Serious weight can bring federal charges, with fines in the tens of millions of dollars and prison sentences running from decades to life.
Marijuana is still illegal in California under most circumstances
It’s important to remember that even though California allows marijuana for medical use, recreational use of the drug is still illegal. As drug crime lawyers, we represent clients in possession, sale, use, DUI and paraphernalia cases related to marijuana.
Our Burlingame attorneys vigorously defend against drug charges in state and federal court
If you’ve been arrested for on drug charges in San Mateo County or anywhere in California, The Law Offices of Paula Canny can provide aggressive representation to protect your rights. We have an excellent record in high-stakes criminal prosecutions. Contact us online or call 650.652.7862 to schedule a consultation.